Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Clock and the Painting


This painting by Aunt Helen, Painted in 1986 started the creativity discussion.   She had taken an art class and produced this oil on (unknown medium) for my Dad.    Ahh...but there's a story.   I wish I remembered the dates of it all...unfortunately the only firm date is the one on the painting.   As remembered by the various participants, the story goes like this:

My Dad gave Aunt Helen the antique mantle clock.  (Helen is his next to the youngest sister in a sibship of 12.  The two were particularly close probably because he was 15 or so when she was born and looked out for her.)  Back to the clock.   One day, on a visit Dad and I somehow talked about that clock after it was gone.   He discovered that I liked antiques and that I admired that clock.  I didn't give it another thought.    

Unbeknownst to me, he asked Helen for the clock back.   (I know, right???!!)   She said she wasn't done with it yet.   However, she then decided to paint a picture especially for him.   He always liked Courier and Ives scenes with snow, horses and sleighs, so she made one for him.  She gave him the picture in lieu of the clock.

Years later, Dad gave me the painting.  (I don't remember when.)  I loved it and used it during Christmas above my mantle and left it up all winter for many years.

Then, a few years later, Helen told me that she knew my Dad wanted me to have the clock, so she gave me the clock.  Therefore, for a number of years, I had both!!  (But had no idea of the drama behind the gift!!)   And Helen didn't know I had the picture until she saw it in a Christmas picture I posted on Facebook one year!!  (I really need to look for a picture of the clock AND the painting.)

Recently, I've been trying to purge the "stuff" I have in my house.   Thinking about not leaving a mess for my kids to clean up should I meet my demise.   I decided I wanted to give the picture to Tracey (Helen's youngest daughter).   Since it was painted by her mom, she would treasure it. 

So when I brought the painting to the family reunion this year, the story came out!    Would that all family secrets were that benign!!!










No comments:

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!