Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Friday, September 28, 2007


Thank God It's Friday

I've been doing this job for a long time. It's rare that a student can really throw me off my game, but I have one this year who's very good at it! For just a moment I thought I might crumble, but I kept a stiff upper lip and dealt with the situation. I absolutely hate it when I have to send a student, or students, to the office with a referral. It gives me this taste of failure. I'm there to inspire, motivate and teach. If I can't even get decent behavior and a modicum of cooperation, I haven't done my job.

So I had another one of those soul-searching, "Am I right for this job?" "Am I too old?" "Do I know what I'm doing?" moments. After consulting with colleagues, administration and the social worker (I need counseling at that moment), I decided I could go on. I also developed a new plan. I think by being out of school all year last year (we are a 2-year middle school, 7th and 8th grade only), none of the students know me or anything about me. To them, I'm a total stranger. They are making judgments based on faulty assumptions. I'm approaching them assuming that the majority at least know me by reputation -- my rep is that I'm tough, but fair. Someone who will come through for you if you need help. I think the year off has lost me that advantage.

I guess next week I'll just have to down, and get real!!

Pray for me. This is a tough group.

PJ


No comments:

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!