Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sorry I've been silent!!
Lest I lose all my bloggy friends, I must post something!! Starting with last Friday…that would be December 12, that was a full moon and a crazy day. Students with problems too big for them, who sought the refuge of my office included:

1. Siblings whose father had lost his job and was planning to move to Mexico over the weekend. Naturally the 8th grade girl was devastated at the prospect of leaving her friends.

2. Two boys ready to throw punches. I happened to be there in time to prevent it.

3. A boy who believed that his mother might “go to heaven” over the weekend.

THEN SCHOOL STARTED

4. A boy whose mother is on dialysis and continues to work a 4 a.m. to 2 p.m. job every day came to my office because he couldn’t concentrate in class. The family had talked to Dad the night before. Dad is being held by immigration until mom can come up with a $10,000 bond. Only Dad is undocumented. Mom is a legal resident; the three children were all born here. Mom is selling everything she can to try to raise the money to get Dad out of custody AND pay the lawyer to see if anything can be done about keeping him here to support her and the kids. (From my experience with INS, it won’t happen.) Among other things, she’s raffling the TV and selling the car. But has to take off one hour early three days a week in order to go for dialysis. Wonder why that little boy can’t concentrate in school!

5. Talk to children from four other families who has a parent under deportation order.

6. Give out coats to several girls who come saying they don’t have a coat.
7. Mediate an argument between two warring friends, girls who are “talking about” each other.

8. Encourage a couple of teachers with difficult students.

9. Go with social worker to find mom who may be “going to heaven.” The good news: she is not at death’s door. She is on an oxygen mask and medication for asthma/bronchitis and is quite ill. But not “unto death.” Thank God!


And that was Friday, the 12th!


6 comments:

Truth said...

Wow, that is a lot of needs for one teacher to even think about. Good thing the answers don't rest on your shoulder.

His Girl said...

*fainting dead on the floor*

ugh. what a day!!!

Linda said...

That is a lot for anyone to handle.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow. You sure are meeting needs every day in your life. I know you don't want personal praise, but I still want to say I think you're amazing.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow. You sure are meeting needs every day in your life. I know you don't want personal praise, but I still want to say I think you're amazing.

Ballerina Girl said...

wow, what an emotional roller coaster.
they are lucky to have someone so caring like you
BG

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!