Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Saturday, May 23, 2009


Bats in the Belfry

We had to hire our friendly animal trapper again. Racoons in the attic! He says he got everything and will release her into the forest where she can happily build a nest for those new babies she's about to have. Whew! Dodged that bullet. But sometimes I still hear noises.

I woke up feverish a couple of nights ago and to my horror saw the shadow of a bat on my ceiling, right above the bedroom. I stopped myself from screaming...just barely. I didn't want to make noise or movement and startle the very still animal. Then it moved a bit. And I realized that it was a shadow. So where is the critter?? Where's the source of light. I carefully turn my head. There's no light coming in the bedroom window to cast such a shadow. Oh! Just a minute. It's in the circle of light cast by our old people clock -- the kind that shows the time in digital figures on the ceiling. Then... Think, Phylis, think. Oh, it has to be tiny then. A funny shaped bug on the lamp of that clock.

Then the creature moved yet again. It's not a bat; it's a beetle! A beetle on the clock. Then it moved again and lost one pincher. At some point, my brain overcame the feverish stupor and figured it out.

"Shadow Animals." Made by black spaces between digital numbers projected on the ceiling and one malfunctioning brain.

And that boys and girls, is the end of the "Bats in the Belfrey" saga. You figure it out. Who has bats in the belfrey?

. . .


2 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh dear! Please go read Mocha with Linda about the raccoons!

Unknown said...

We had "bats in the belfry" at our church. Took forever to get rid of them.

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!