Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

WHAT ARE YOU READING THAT"S GOOD?
BOOKS MEME


I sat down tonight wondering what I will blog about. Since I left school about 2 and a half hours ago I have driven through rain, sleet, hail and snow. They're predicting 12 inches for us this evening through tonight and up to 8 inches tomorrow. We haven't had that much snow since 1973 when we left town ahead of the snowstorm of the century. And I'm bored WRITING about snow...I won't bore you.

So, I was pleased as punch to discover that heather had tagged me for a meme.
This one I really like because I always love to hear what people are reading!

  1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages.)
  2. Open the book to page 123.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the next three sentences.
  5. Tag five people.

The nearest book to me (It arrived today and I brought it home on the off chance that tomorrow is a snow day and I could spend the day curled up with the book by the fireplace! Please!! Please!!! Please!!)

Drawing on the right Side of the Brain
by Betty Edwards.

Page 123:

"Emphasis on negative spaces unifies your drawing and strengthens composition and--perhaps most important, improves your perceptual abilities.

"I realize that it is counter-intuitive--that is, it goes against common sense--to think that focusing on the spaces around objects will improve your drawing of the objects. But this is simply another of the paradoxes of drawing and may help to explain why it is so difficult to teach oneself to draw. So many of the strategies of drawing--using negative space, for example--would never occur to anyone "in their left mind."


Okay that is boring to anyone not interested in education, psychology and left-right brain theory. (I'm trying to get out of my "left mind" -- maybe I can learn to use my "right mind.") And my readers are saying, "Just get a mind!!! Or get a life!!"

Fine. I'll agree. That book has limited appeal. (Although some of my home-schooling Mom friends and other educator/psychology people might find it interesting)

Next closest book:

Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin's Path to God by Brennan Manning.

"Drop your various identities as author, evangelist, and spiritual leader, admired by your friends and respected by your reading audience. Simply present yourself to God, clinging to nothing but your humanness."

"And so the hours of prayer became a death to all past achievements and any identity not grounded in truth."

This one is a great book. I highly recommend it...(Is it just me, or did that passage speak to anyone like me who can become a site meter addict?)

And I now tag a few people I know love to read: What book is nearby???

Jen at MomtoJonahandJude
Valerie
Mrs. Darling
Joanne
Lisa B

And anybody else who'd like to play! Tell us what you're reading!! Or at least what book is lying nearby!

Hope all of you have a wonderful day -- and plenty of time to read!

PJ




1 comment:

Truth said...

That was fun! Thanks, I did do this book meme on my blog.

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!