Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Thursday, April 10, 2008


Such a day!!

7:45 - staff meeting - I was on time, even early. I was there by 7:35. First time all year I actually made it early!

9:00 AM - 3:30 PM - taught 136 students.

Also managed to go to L.A. room and bring up novels for Guided Reading exercise next week. Stopped by Principal's office to set up meeting with community college planning to deliver career/college information to students. Reviewed parent contacts for year, helped compile on excel document with every phone call or parent contact made on behalf of a list of 40-plus students. Reviewed Calendar with team. Coordinated activities for career week. Found ten minutes to vacuum down my lunch. Oh, I think I actually visited the WC before 3:30 today. (Retired teachers say one of the most valued perks of being retired is the joy of going to the WC whenever you want!)

3:30 - 6:15 - Graded papers. My DIL helped me. She put the grades in the gradebook and then in the computer. We did all papers for the last 8 days of classes. (I know, I was behind!!)

During that time I prayed that they would pass a No Teacher Left Behind law. No such miracle!

Then at 6:30 I attended a Charter Committee meeting for Gifted education. I took along the set of tests my gifted students took today...the only ungraded papers I have. I only got two papers done...the meeting was actually productive.

So I was home at 8:30
On arrival at home my husband was just finishing an interview with a couple to plan a wedding. I hadn't seen them in some time. Spent a few minutes saying hello.

-- ate a bit of dinner and answered a couple of emails, set up an appointment for Saturday. Watched an hour of t.v. and here I sit updating my blog. Time to retire. I've had it.

7:30 - 11:30 -- It's been a long day. Gotta go to bed so I can do it all again tomorrow.


Good night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is exactly why I stopped teaching and stayed home with the kids. I couldn't stay at school so late and then bring more work home and do that all evening AND take care of my kids. Whew, teaching is demanding. I remember wolfing my lunch down in ten minutes too. And not being able to go to the bathroom, oh man even when I was pregnant. I LOVED your No Teacher Left Behind comment, very funny!

Just last night I was talking to my husband about my license, it expires in August. I think according to Iowa standards I need to get 6 credits (plus pay a bunch of money) to renew it.

storyteller said...

Ah yez … I remember dayz like this … oh yez I do … and I’m grateful to be ‘happily retired’ … sitting here at my computer this morning. I hope you have a fantastic Friday and a wonderful weekend ;--)
Hugs and blessings,

Mrs. Darling said...

Goodness lady youre going to die young!I think being a teacher is THEE most stressful job in the nation. That's what I think! My hats off to you!

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!