Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Celebrating Martin Luther King





We had the most marvelous evening Thursday night. It was a community celebration of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. One of those dinner and speeches things that one expects to be boringly civil and excruciatingly polite. Instead of the usual speeches, Walt Whitman and the Soul Children of Chicago were there to sing. And sing they did. Actually, they worshiped God. At the beginning, I got a couple of video clips. Soon I abandoned the camera. It felt like a worship service; it sounded like a worship service; why not act like it's a worship service? And I did. It was wondrously liberating. I didn't quite jig as much as those young kids singing...do they ever move!!! But I did a respectable Gospel two-step!! And when I did, more people in our corner joined me.

So for MLK Day, we had a terrific community worship service -- at the Hilton.



Psalm 100:1-2
Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth.

Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs.


4 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds great!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Now that's a school gathering.

marina said...

they sound good, and I have too agree with Linda that is one school gathering. marina

Truth said...

That IS worship! Our church sisters with an innercity church and some of my favorite worship nights are when the two get together. It is awesome.

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!