Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Saturday, December 22, 2007



"I'll be home for Christmas" by Josh Groban

Home for Christmas

While I was out today, I stopped at a local Italian grocery store chain where I've recently been purchasing a few things. This one was at a different location than my usual. It was so European in flavor, customers and product, that I kept thinking about the stores in Budapest.

I think my mind went to Budapest because I was watching customers who were obviously from widely varied parts of the world: Asia, Eastern Europe, the Mideast as well as the U.S. Families were shopping for Christmas food and looking for traditional ethnic things they were accustomed to. It reminded me of our week in Hungary, looking for breakfast food in the store when we could not read the name of the product. "Is this cheese, Cream cheese or butter?" we'd ask one another. Sometimes we chose well; sometimes we ate sour cream with our bread and jam!

The shoppers would read the ingredients aloud to one another, ask questions and either nod or shake their heads. Since the labels and the conversation were in Polish, Italian, Slavic or some other language I could not identify, I only guessed at the content of their conversation. But I recognize that search for something to remind one of home and traditions while living in a new land. Been there, done that. It's readable in the faces, the anxious pose of the body, the pitch of the voice.

And then there are those American young men and women who are away from home serving their country. I want to remember them too, remember that in their loneliness, discomfort and danger they are protecting me and the freedoms we enjoy.

God this year as we celebrate, help me to remember to be thankful. Protect those men and women who are serving us well in far away places, giving us the privilege of living here in relative luxury. Give comfort and peace to those who wander far from loved ones and home. Help them to find solace in this hectic time. Give us all a thankful heart. God bless us everyone!!

7 comments:

His Girl said...

indeed.

merry, merry christmas! glad to have found you this year!

Truth said...

Can I say amen to that?

Valerie said...

Just dropping by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Anonymous said...

Picturing sour cream with bread and jam... EW.

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Picturing sour cream with bread and jam... EW.

Merry Christmas!

Praise and Coffee said...

Amen!

Merry Christmas,
Sue

Mrs. Darling said...

Dropping by to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!