Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Thursday, May 22, 2008


Do You Mean What You Say?

At a fast food drive in tonight

Employee: Would you like anything else? (with a fairly heavy Spanish accent)

Hubby: That'll do it.

Employee: Would you like anything else?

Hubby: That'll do it.

Me (soto voz): Just tell her "nothing else."

Employee: Would you like anything else?

Hubby: That'll do it.
He drives on to the window to pick up food.

It reminded me of a phrase Ecuadorians use: "Hay no mas." Literally, "There, no more."
The conversation would go like this: (Only I'm translating all but the one phrase)

Me: Would you like more coffee? (Coffee pot in hand)

Ecuadorian #1: Hay no mas (Waves hand over cup indicating no more)

I go to the next guest

Me: Would you like more coffee?

Ecuadorian #2: Hay no mas (smiles at me and nods). I pour coffee.

A young girl from the country worked for us. I could never tell if her "Aye no mas" was a yes or a no. I would finally resort to this:

Me: Aiden, would you like more milk?

Aiden: (Expressionless, motionless) Aye, no mas.

me: Aye, no mas, Si? Or Aye, no mas no?



So I ask you, what other expressions do we use that are vague or can mean either yes or no? (My brain is tired...help me think!!!)

(Apologies to Spanish-speakers, I couldn't get the accents and such to work in this space)


8 comments:

His Girl said...

hee hee

Odd phrases aside...I never realized how hard our language is until i started teaching my kids to read.
so sounds like sew
to sounds like two
do sounds like dew
but sew does not sound like dew

makes no sense!

Anonymous said...

I THINK HIS GIRL'S KIDS ARE ALOT LIKE MINE.....WHY IS DO PRONOUNCED DOO AND GO ISN'T GOO? WHY DOES COOKIE START WITH C INSTEAD OF K? AS FOR YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION...WHAT ABOUT WHEN SOMEONE SAYS WHATEVER? OR JUST I'M OK? OR MY FAVORITE, IT DOESN'T MATTER? OR THOSE YES'S OR NO'S?

Flip Flop Floozie said...

Yes i agree with the other bloggers. The English language is hard when you think about it!! i was trying to help my grandson spell and read and he asked that same question..Why do things start with K when it should be C and so on. Hm!! I guess you just have to learn it. Sandy

PJ said...

I just remembered, my Dad used to say "I don't care if I do." How's that for a convoluted Southern "Yes, please."

ann said...

I got a kick out of this PJ! I can't think of any phrases right now. A lot of times my kids will say "nah" and it sounds like "yah" so I have to ask if they said yes or no.

DC said...

Just wanted to say good luck with your chemotherapy and surgery. I was on chemotherapy last year for my lupus and it was not fun. But you are a strong woman and you will get through this with grace and dignity. My thoughts are with you.

I am a new blogger, so please stop in and say hello if you get a chance!

http://lupuspie.blogspot.com

MissKris said...

Hi...I popped in from "Dishpan Dribble" and it's my first time here. I find it very interesting that you and I, according to our profiles, are the same age...251! Now, what are the odds of that?!? HA! I agree with 'his girl'...some others are rein, rain, reign. There, their, they're; blue, blew. But in other languages, like German, it's figuring out the masculine and feminine so I guess when the good Lord confounded language, He did an excellent job! Please stop by and say hi/high if you get a chance! ;-P

DC said...

Thank you so much for the comment on my blog. I also suffer from neoropathy (no fun!) and, of course, reduced stamina.

Maintaining a good quality of life is so important. It seems like you have a great perspective on things. I wish you the best. Please stay in touch.

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!