Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass- it is about learning to dance in the rain.

Sunday, August 03, 2008


When God Speaks

Simon, Simon, Satan has desired to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you that your faith fail not.” Luke 22:32 (PJ's paraphrased version)

God gave me that scripture several years ago when I was praying about a particular situation. Something related to the issue then has come up recently (details in a later blog) that I've been worrying about. I know that God is in charge. I know that God has my best interest at heart...but...what can I say...I've been worrying. Last night at the Zumaely concert, Pastor Alex used the scripture as he talked about God's hand guiding our lives. He spoke straight to me although he had no clue as to the situation.

Then today, another guest pastor preached directly to the same situation. His topic was: “The other Side of Faith.”

From Hebrews 11: 1

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (NIV)

Then Verse 35-38 tells of those who went through terrible suffering and persecution, but in verse 39 says,

“These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised.” Hebrews 11:39 (NIV)

He hasn't promised that we will be spared suffering and tribulation. He DOES adjure us to be Faithful.

Earlier this week, I started using a new exercise DVD. At one point the instructor urged, just use your best effort on these exercises. The people you see here are advanced level instructors. Your moves may not look exactly like theirs. Work on effort and stretching the muscles. Don't worry about the result. Do the moves, focus on stretching and moving your muscles, not on doing them perfectly.

And I'm screaming, “But I want to look like that really cute 30-something chick who looks so good in the leotard. Are you telling me that my 50-plus-year-old body will not get there?”

Oblivious of my histrionics, he continues. You're working toward good health, strength and flexibility.

Oh, that.” I mutter. “Yeah. Good health.”

So...in exercise...and in life, I must do the exercises: maintain faith, do what I know to be right. “But I want the miracle! I want divine intervention, and I want it now!!!”

Oh, yeah. Faith. I maintain faith. I am faithful to what God has called me. The results are in His hands!"

In spite of myself, God speaks to me. He answers those nagging questions that are just thoughts. He may not answer them the way I wish ... but He answers!!” when God speaks, I really must listen.


3 comments:

Maggie - Mom of Six said...

Boy, did i need that!

A part of me is sarcastically saying "gee, thanks alot, like i really wanted to deal with that today"

but the intelligent part of me is saying "thank you God for speaking to me through pj today. I really needed to hear you"

His Girl said...

wow, I totally heard that :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Great application. And I empathize!

Bloggers Over 50

Personal DNA

Personality Profile

My Bloginality is ENTP!!!